Thursday, August 16, 2007

always some motherfucker tryin to ice skate up a hill

Isabel reminded me to wear my helmet when biking, which I appreciate. A few days ago I was also reminded to wear my helmet by this.




Well... Imagine a few more people and a few more cars, and more color gradiation. I decided not to take a picture of the fellow because at the time I wasnt sure if he was alive or not. If he hadnt been wearing the helmet he prolly woulda been dead. I didnt see any flowers when i went by yesterday, so maybe his brain didnt swell too bad.

The moral I take from this story is that if you live in an insanely hilly city, and are riding a fixed-gear, RUN A FUCKING FRONT BRAKE! And wear your helmet. BUT RUN A FUCKING FRONT BRAKE!

Look I understand the aesthetic appeal of the fixie. I really do. But at some point, there is a real, functional trade off. If you're going to cross the Atlantic Ocean, you dont take a canoe because 'its the most pared-down, purest form of the boat'. There are some things the canoe just isnt designed to do, and just like a fixie, doing 25mph down a 30% incline and tryin to stop on command is one of those things it cannot do.

1 comment:

Isabel said...

yeesh, scary! your bike has a front brake, i assume...?

on another note... yayyyy blade! best tagline ever! ten points to you for the reference.